The Pager System
The Communications Technology Group issues pagers.
The telephone operators will show you how to use your pager when it is issued and you must familiarise yourself with the system.
- Answer promptly when a signal is received through the call system. If you are unable to answer, ask a colleague to contact the telephone operator.
- Leave your pager on your ward when off duty. If you are sick or have unplanned leave, your reliever will need to use your pager.
- Return your pager to the telephone office if you are going on holiday, or at the completion of a run.
Pagers are the property of CDHB and need to be treated with care. Report a lost pager to the Resident Doctors Support Team immediately.
How the Pager Works
- The pager's number is shown on the back of the pager.
- A flat battery is indicated first by a periodic beep from the pager and then by a small battery icon on the display screen.
How to Page Someone
Using any telephone, dial as follows:
- then the number of the person you are calling
- then the extension number you are calling from
- then press the hash key
- wait for the dial tone
- hang up
- wait for the person you paged to call back
- For a routine call, your pager sounds 13 long beeps.
- The number you need to telephone in response will display on the screen. It will either be a five digit number for an internal call, or a three digit number for call waiting.
- Dial the number shown to reach the caller.
- For an urgent or emergency call, your pager sounds 24 short beeps in quick succession, i.e., beepbeep beepbeep.
- The pager will display either the nature of the emergency including the location, or “call 777 for information/instruction/location”.
- When it displays the nature and location, go immediately to that location. You do not need to respond to anyone by telephone in this situation; just go immediately to the ward shown on the display.
- When it displays 777, dial this number immediately to find out the location and nature of the emergency. You must then go immediately to that location.
Note: Do not dial 0 in response to an urgent beep, as your call will be placed in a non-urgent queue.
Operating Instructions for Grey and Red Pagers
To switch the pager On
After the battery has been changed, you'll need to switch the pager on. To do this, press and hold the green Read key for about two seconds.
All pagers have a screensaver/power save mode. This is shown as a small circle in the left hand corner of the pager screen. Pressing the green Read key takes you back to the date/time screen.
When you receive a new message, the pager will display it for about 13 seconds. Each message is allocated a slot number (e.g., 01, 02). If the message is too long to fit on the first screen, use the green Read to scroll through to the end of the message.
Reading stored messages from screensaver mode
Press the green Read key twice for your most recent message. Scroll through the message using the Read key. To scroll through your stored messages, use the left and right scroll keys.
Deleting messages stored on pagers
There is no delete function. All pagers hold 60 messages and when that number has been reached the oldest messages will automatically be deleted.
Locking messages that need to be saved
To stop a message from being deleted automatically, you can lock it. With the message on screen:
- Press and hold the red Escape key for about 2 seconds.
- Select the padlock icon by pressing the green Read key.
Follow the same steps to unlock the message when you no longer need it.
Selecting pager tone options
- From the date/time screen, press and hold the red Escape key for about 2 seconds.
- Use the green Read key to select the speaker icon. Each pager has Tone, Vibrate, and Tone + Vibrate options.
- Select the option you want and confirm by pressing the green Read key.
Note: If an emergency page is sent to a Red pager set to vibrate mode the emergency tone will override the vibrate and the emergency tone will still sound.
Date and time setting
- From the date/time screen, press and hold the red Escape key for about 2 seconds to enter the menu options screen.
- Select the icon that looks like a clock by pressing the green Read key once.
- Use the left/right scroll keys to change the date/time and confirm the options with the green Read key.
- Once the correct date and time is set, press the green Read key.
Topic Code: 10767