Guide For Dictating
Machine/ Computer (Winscribe):
- Check that it is recording properly before you dictate.
- Check the volume.
- Check any faults with the Secretary.
- Prepare the material to be dictated before you switch the machine on.
- Have your papers in the correct order.
- Give these instructions at the beginning:
- Your name
- Approximate length of document
- Number of copies and who they are for
- Letterhead, i.e., Clinical School, CDHB
- Check whether there is a departmental template.
- Include details of all those who should receive copies of the document.
- Make sure you include the correct details of the patient and health professionals, patient medicines, and follow up arrangements.
- Speak clearly.
- Dictate in an area free from background noise.
- Do not cough or splutter into the microphone.
- Spell any words that may be unknown to the secretary.
- Dictate punctuation (full stop, comma, new paragraph, etc.) to make sure the reader gets the correct meaning.
- Names should be spelt, using the phonetic alphabet, e.g., '"P" for Peter'.
- Rewind to the right place and re-record.
- Say when your dictation has ended.
Note: Try to be concise and accurate. This requires careful preparation and thought before you dictate.
Topic Code: 10747